During pregnancy, it is very essential to take proper care of your health as it not only helps you to stay fit but also keeps your baby healthy. From a healthy diet to keeping yourself clean, you need to take proper care of everything you do. Personal hygiene is one of the vital factors for a healthy pregnancy.
Importance of maintaining proper hygiene during pregnancy
When you get pregnant, your body tends to undergo many uncomfortable changes due to the increase in blood circulation and hormonal changes. This results in frequent urination, perspiration, vaginal secretions etc.
The baby in the womb is vulnerable and weak. If the expectant mother does not maintain proper personal hygiene, there are more chances of infection which may harm the baby. The would-be mother also suffers from various infections that affect the skin, stomach, urinary tract etc. Thus, it becomes very necessary for expectant mothers to maintain a healthy personal hygiene.
Tips for maintaining healthy hygiene during pregnancy
- Clothing: For pregnant women, it is very important to wear washed clothes as it helps prevent infections and irritation of skin. Throughout pregnancy, you should wear loose and comfortable cotton clothes as cotton is said to be the ideal fabric for expectant mothers. It helps in absorbing any discharge and dries quickly. As milk secretion is possible during the third trimester, wearing cotton maternity bra with pads will help to absorb the leakage of colostrum from the nipples. Moreover, you should avoid wearing sweaty clothes for longer period of time.
- Breast care: To prevent nipple irritation, it is very important to wash your breast and nipples properly with water so that the dry colostrum gets removed. Caring for your breast will help you maintain good personal hygiene.
- Genital care: Pregnant women should take special care to keep their pubic area hair-free and clean but you should not douche. It thus helps in preventing genital infections which may affect the developing baby. To maintain the pH level, you should use mild and unperfumed genital wash.
- Dental care: During pregnancy, teeth care is another important factor of hygiene. Due to the increase in estrogen level, pregnant women may suffer from gum sensitivity or swelling. You should make sure that you brush twice daily to keep your teeth and gums free of infections.
- Wash hands: In order to prevent stomach infections, you should wash your hands properly before eating. If you go to work or any other place, use sanitizer before having food. In addition, have fruits and vegetables that are washed properly and use clean utensils.
- Skin and hair care: As the oil glands become more active during the pregnancy your scalp might turn oily. So, shampoo your hair regularly using mild shampoo. Avoid taking bath in a bathtub as there is a higher chance of vaginal infection as the water gets dirty in the bathtub. Use the shower or a mug to take a bath and natural bath products to wash your skin.