A healthy pregnancy mostly depends on your diet during pregnancy. A balanced diet rich in natural foods that include probiotics and prebiotics allows you to stay healthy and fit. These components help in digesting and distributing the nutrients of the food throughout the body. Probiotics and prebiotics obtained either from supplements or from natural food sources are considered to be safe during pregnancy. But consulting a doctor is always a nice idea before taking any kinds of supplements.
Probiotics and Prebiotics
Commonly known as good bacteria, probiotics are live microorganisms that are present in the intestine naturally. These good bacteria help in breaking down the food that we eat and help in providing energy to the cells. Whereas, prebiotics are food components which are not digested by our body, but they stimulate the growth of the friendly bacteria.
Benefits of Probiotics during Pregnancy
During pregnancy, women have to go through a variety of discomforts which may occur frequently or may be severe. Stomach upset, stomach cramp, bloating and constipation are some of the common conditions that occur in pregnant women. Intake of probiotics directly from food or through supplements gives you relief from these problems. Below are a few of the benefits of probiotics:
- Helps in making your digestive system healthier so that it works more effectively
- Prevents diarrhoea due to infections and antibiotics
- Makes the immune systems of mother and baby strong
- Gives you relief from inflammatory bowel disease and irritable bowel syndrome
- Maintains urinary health
- Prevents premature birth due to infections in your birth canal
- Helps in treating food allergies, atopic dermatitis and eczema in babies
- Aids mental health and brain function
- Helps in keeping cholesterol level balanced
Foods containing Probiotics
Probiotics are available in a variety of foods which include :
- Fermented bamboo shoot
Foods containing Prebiotics
Here is a list of some foods containing prebiotics:
- Unrefined wheat
- Soya beans
Eating a healthy diet enriched with a variety of nutrients along with probiotics and prebiotics is essential for a healthy pregnancy. It will not only help you to stay fit and healthy but will also enable your baby to have a healthy development.