Summer which is both hated and loved has arrived. With temperatures soaring and hot winds blowing, it becomes very difficult to cope during summers now-a-days. The best way to enjoy the flavours of summer is by being prepared to beat the heat.
This is the time of the year you can nourish your body and mind with delicious seasonal fruits like mangoes, watermelons, pineapples etc. which are loaded with variety of nutrients. These fruits not only make you healthy and feel refreshed but also help in making your skin glow and hair shine.
However, getting the best of out of summer depends on how you beat the heat and enjoy the offerings of the season. Here are some tips to stay cool and healthy during summer.
- One of the most important things during summer is staying hydrated. So, drink lots of fluids like water, fruit and vegetable juices etc. It will help you to retain the fluids lost while sweating. Carry a water bottle along with you whenever you step out of your house.
- Using an umbrella, hat and sunglasses will help you avoid direct contact with sunrays and keep you comfortable.
- Have a proper breakfast during summer as it prevents dizziness and low blood pressure. Have small but frequent meals during the hot days as it will keep you healthy.
- Stay away from heavy foods and focus on light and refreshing food options. Light meals are easy to digest making you feel comfortable during the summer season.
- To stay cool and comfortable, wear loose fitting cotton clothes and flip flops.
- Avoid alcoholic drinks, caffeine etc. during summer as they may speed up the loss of fluids.
- Avoid staying in closed, parked cars during summer which may lead to suffocation etc.
- Whenever you go out use sunscreen lotion adequately to prevent tan and rashes.
- Have lot of seasonal fruits and fresh vegetables to keep you fit and healthy.
During pregnancy, it is quite normal to feel hotter than usual. Hormonal changes during pregnancy, increased flow of blood and the heat produced by the placenta are factors responsible for high body temperature in pregnant women. But getting too hot is not good at all for the pregnant woman and the developing baby. Heat and humidity during summer makes you more uncomfortable when you are pregnant. The high body temperature added to the summer heat makes life more miserable. So, it is very necessary for you to remain cool during summer.
Some tips for a cool and healthy pregnancy during summer:
- Staying hydrated is very important during pregnancy. Drink lots of fluids so that it will replace the fluids you lose in the form of sweat.
- Remain indoors as much as possible and avoid exposure to direct sunlight.
- Carry a water bottle along with you when you go out of your house.
- Keep a small water-filled spray bottle with you to mist yourself whenever you feel warm.
- Place a damp cloth on the back of your neck and forehead to keep yourself cool during summer.
- Do your outdoor work in the morning or evening hours when the heat is low.
- In order to prevent your rooms from heating up from direct sunlight, keep the curtains closed.
- Take quick showers frequently during summer; it will help you to keep cool.
- Wear loose fitting cotton clothes which will help avoid skin rashes under the breasts, abdomen etc. during pregnancy and keep you cool and comfortable.
- Wear a light headscarf when you go out; it will help reduce direct sunlight.
- Wear flip flops to keep your feet cool.
- Avoid alcoholic beverages, caffeine and street food during summer.
- You can refresh yourself by having cold fruit or vegetable salad; it is not only refreshing but healthy, as well.
- Minimise intake of salt; it will help in combating water retention, making you stay more comfortable during summer.
- You can exercise during the cooler time of the day and avoid doing it till the point of exhaustion.
- Stay in cool places as much as possible at the time of your pregnancy during summer.
If you are pregnant and the arrival of summer is making you anxious, there is nothing to be worried about. With the advent of summer and your belly becoming bigger and bigger, at times you may wonder — will you be able to pass this phase comfortably.
Normally, pregnant women feel hot due to the extra flow of blood raising the body temperature higher than normal. In addition, the extra weight you gain adds to the discomfort. Though pregnancy during summer is not easy and pleasant, there are several ways to cope with the heat and stay comfortable.
Healthy Tips to Beat the Summer Heat During Pregnancy:
Here are some awesome ways to beat the summer heat.
- Consume a large quantity of fluids — be it water, vegetable and fruit juices — throughout the day. Drinks containing electrolytes can help in replacing the lost salt. Staying hydrated during summer will let you feel good and fresh.
- During summer, do your outdoor work during the morning hours or in the evening time when the heat of the sun is low.
- Stay indoors or in the shade or under the fan when the temperature goes up.
- Wear loose fitting and light-coloured clothes during summer. The fabric should be breathable, so that it will help you to keep cool and prevent rashes due to heat under the breasts and abdomen. Heat rash in such areas is a common problem for pregnant women.
- Wear flip-flops to keep your feet cool.
- To keep yourself cool, take quick baths frequently during the day.
- Use a damp cloth on the head, forehead and back of the neck to lower your body temperature.
- Exercise at a time when the heat is low and avoid doing exercises to the point of overheating.
- Always carry a water-filled spray bottle with you; when you feel hot, you can mist yourself with the spray.
- Indulge in swimming which will not only help you keep cool but also lose some excess weight.
- During summer, to reduce swelling of your feet which is common during pregnancy, place them on a chair or table.
- Take frequent naps to keep yourself fresh and active.
- To prevent stretched skin and itchiness which increases during summer, use moisturising lotion immediately after taking a shower.
If you follow these health tips and consult your doctor regarding any issues, remaining cool during pregnancy in the summer months will become very easy. In fact, if you deliver during the summer months, you and your baby will have good health as you will get fresh air.