With an array of physical and psychological changes going on, it is quite natural that you might not have good sleep during your gestation period. Sleep problems are quite common among expectant mothers. You may experience discomforts like back pain, fatigue, difficulty in breathing, restlessness etc.
Reasons for sleeping problems during pregnancy:
- Frequent urination
- Body aches
- Leg cramps
- Movement of the foetus
- Breathing problem
Sleeping positions during pregnancy:
Good sleeping positions are very important to ensure proper sleep during the pregnancy period. Here, are some ideal sleeping positions which you can adopt to minimize discomforts:
- Sleep on your left side: Sleeping on your left side helps in improving the blood flow. Keeping one or both knees bent while sleeping during the early months of pregnancy is very helpful to prevent discomforts.
- Use pillows: Use pillows between your bent knees, behind your back or under your abdomen to relieve sleeping discomforts.
Tips for good sleep during pregnancy:
- Avoid caffeinated beverages like tea, coffee or soda during the second half of the day.
- Avoid drinking lots of fluids or having a heavy meal before sleeping.
- Eat healthy foods which are rich in variety of nutrients.
- Have small but frequent meals to avoid heartburn.
- During pregnancy, try to maintain the same time for sleeping at night and waking up in the morning.
- A warm bath before going to bed will make you feel relaxed and help in having a good sleep.
- You can join yoga or birthing classes to learn some relaxation techniques for better sleep.
- You can have a cup of herbal tea or a glass of warm milk before sleeping.