The first early sign of having twins is pure intuition. Most mothers of twin babies report that they had a sense or feeling that they were expecting multiples, even before they knew for sure. But for many people, the news may come as a complete surprise.
While there is no way to be absolutely sure without an ultrasound, here are 7 alternative symptoms that you can look for:
- Morning Sickness: Women pregnant with multiple babies report experiencing elevated levels of morning sickness, or morning sickness that lasts longer into their pregnancy. But this can vary from person to person
- High Human chorionic gonadotropin (HcG): Early positive pregnancy test signs of twins is having double or more than expected amount of HCG. Your obstetrician will be able to establish this with a urine test.
- High Alpha-fetoprotein (AFP): Through AFP test, a protein is measured which is secreted by the fetal liver. If there is more than one baby, then the amount of protein is high in the mother’s blood.
- Second heartbeat: If detected by your OBGYN they will probably ask you to go in for an ultrasound.
- Some people report showing earlier when pregnant with twins.
- Early-onset or heavy Fatigue could be a possible sign of twins.
- Weight Gain: During the first trimester of your pregnancy, weight gain is usually relatively low. Increased weight gain can be a twin baby symptom. Monitor your BMI and keep your OBGYN posted.
While a pregnancy with twins or multiples is exciting, it comes with some risks. Focusing on your health and seeking prenatal care is especially important during a twin pregnancy.
Early signs of twins cannot tell you for sure whether you are pregnant with two or more babies, but regular prenatal appointments and testing can. Always discuss your concerns with your OBGYN and take good care of yourself — no matter how many babies you are carrying.
Book an appointment with our Twin Birth Centre Today. Call 1800 419 1397